Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Poem on Patience and Peace

Today, the relationship between patience and humility was in my mind when I got this poem about the connection between patience and peace. The lines "he does leave Patience exquisite, / That plumes to Peace thereafter" makes me think of Hebrews 6:19. "We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain."

In Luke 13:34, Christ speaks of Peace and God in just these terms. "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" I'm just not all that comfortable sitting under God's broody wings.

Gerard Manley Hopkins

WHEN will you ever, Peace, wild wooddove, shy wings shut,
Your round me roaming end, and under be my boughs?
When, when, Peace, will you, Peace? I’ll not play hypocrite
To own my heart: I yield you do come sometimes; but
That piecemeal peace is poor peace. What pure peace allows
Alarms of wars, the daunting wars, the death of it?

O surely, reaving Peace, my Lord should leave in lieu
Some good! And so he does leave Patience exquisite,
That plumes to Peace thereafter. And when Peace here does house
He comes with work to do, he does not come to coo,
He comes to brood and sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment